Thursday, November 18, 2010

He Took His Talents to Slippery Rock...

In the arena of college basketball, it’s widely understood that when a player decides to give up on the game that they love, rarely do they ever come back and if they do never with same heart and tenacity.

This cannot be said of Maron Brown.



The 6’5 forward from Salisbury, MD known to him as “The Shore” , has been invigorating Slippery Rock fans with a fever for winning upon his arrival in 2008 from junior college, Cecil College, in North East, MD.
Brown however is no stranger to hard work and overcoming adversity.

“Childhood wasn’t normal for me. Both my parents worked and it forced me and my brothers to do everything on our own”, Brown said.

“Made me learn a lot of wrongs and right” he explained.

A wrong of his we discuss, was his decision to drop out of school after his freshmen year at Cecil, where he averaged 15.1 pts and 7.5/rebs per game.

“I quit, I couldn’t take it”, Brown said with a regretful yet humble tone.

“The dumbest thing you can do is mess up your opportunity” he said…

“Makes you think about what you could be doing”.

Ironically it was his one year at Cecil that he says he learned the most from a coach.

Bill Lewit, basically taught me about the game while teaching me about life”, Brown said retrospectively gazing.

It was also childhood friend and fellow Cecil teammate, Kyle Camper, who influenced his decision to move on to Slippery Rock after a four year hiatus.

“Coach Jareem Dowling brought me, Kyle, and Nell here that year”

Denell “Nell” Stephens and Kyle Camper, have gone on to play basketball overseas Germany and Luxemburg, respectfully.



Many including Brown’s present Head Coach, Kevin Reynolds, believe that he has potential and determination to play overseas.



“He has the statistics, the key thing now is that we need another big season”, Reynolds explained calmly.

Maron mirrors the same sentiments.






“I feel as though I’m good enough. It really depends on this season…” he said. With a grin he said, if I had a season like I did last year I’ll be over.”

Maron spoke of the difficulty in finding time out of his schedule for free time.
“No free days for me”, he laughed.
But when Brown isn’t hooping he’s hitting wheelies on his beloved dirt bike and motorcycle.



Overall, Maron seems to be grateful for a second chance at the game he loves and is very optimistic toward his future.
“I want to come back to college and get my Master‘s degree in either Social Work or Criminology”, he said.
“More than likely I’ll move down south, find a good job, and live a good life… and be comfortable”
I’ll make a toast to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment