Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Light At the End of the Tunnel.

As the semester approaches the end it is a bittersweet time for many seniors that are approaching their graduation. Many are equally excited and scared to start their post graduation life.

This fall graduation will have the remnants of transfer students,non-traditional students ,and students from the freshmen class of 2006.

One such student, Obianuju Anyaogu, is eager to start her ascent in to the professional world.

Known to many on campus as Uju,carries her self with a professionalism that isn't often seen for a student of her age. She credits this with her ability to multi-task.

"Right now I'm currently enrolled in 21 credit hours, work part time at Sheetz, and am the president of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc." said Anyaogu.

but this last semester hasn't been with out some problems.

"I have experienced severe financial hardships this semester due to some personal and family expenses but it has been my richest semester as far as building lasting relationships and learning important lessons".

Uju will be receiving her BSBA in Management and is planning on starting her own business.

"My future aspirations are to open a Beauty Salon either in the suburbs or overseas (Jamaica or Africa)" Uju said.
With her first goal accomplished her next plans are, attaining her Beautician license and lastly a Entrepreneurial Certification or an MBA.

Many students worry about finding employment upon graduation something. Uju is one step ahead of the competition.

"I currently have a job oppotunity as an Insurance Sales Person at American Income Life in Pittsburgh."

"It's a fully commission paid job but I am confident I will be a good employee allowing me to find financial stability."

Even a wonderful opportunity such as this doesn't come without it's share of problems.

"Unfortunately, my employment status with this company is dependent on whether or not I attain my driver's license and purchase a car by the time I am scheduled to work." She continues.

"I planned on driving my mother's car, but because she is behind on her payments, the car had to be refinanced by my older sister. This arrangement was necessary to save the car from being seized, and also to replace my sister's car which has broken down. She lives in Virginia."

Uju doesn't seem to be worried about what many might see as a bleek situation.

"I will still be ok, I won't worry about situations I can't control" she says.

Uju speaks with a glimmering optimism that many graduates seem to have today. They have dreams and aspirations but they know that the road along the way may be rough.

All they can do is be hopeful.

No comments:

Post a Comment